Friday, September 23, 2016

Cereal Pamphlet Project

Names: Aidan Sochowski, Dru Tibbetts, Anthony Valiaveedu, Mykyta Solonko     

     For this project we measured the amount of iron in a couple of breakfast cereal. We later researched the need of iron in the body and how much the person needs. We also looked up the problems that can occur if too much iron is consumed. Below is our project. For some reason, the same image is shown four times instead of one. 

Monday, August 29, 2016

Golf Ball Challenge Lego Mindstorms


   For this challenge in PLTW, a mindstorm robot had to pick up a ball, drive it under a ramp, and put it into a box. The ramp is slanted with the lowest part closer to the box. It is to our advantage to make the robot as short as possible so that it does not have to drive for a long time alongside the ramp. We were allowed to use 3 motors. We used 2 for the wheels and one for the claw(to pick up the ball). Our robot is easily able to fit under the middle of the ramp.

Below is the greatest run EVER!

Below is one of our failed runs...(It is hard to see, the ball did not roll into the box)

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Arduino Obstacle Avoiding Robot

Recently, I have made an obstacle avoiding arduino robot. This robot drives around the floor and doesn't crash into walls. I used an HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensor for this robot in order to detect the distance from the nearest object. I also used 2 6-volt continuous servo motors in order to move the robot forward. I used an Arduino, breadboard, and some wires. I used a 9 volt battery to power the arduino and a 4 AAA battery pack to power the motors. I made the chassis out of cardboard and made the front wheel from two mineral water caps. I 3d modeled and printed a part to hold the wheel in the front. For science, I had to build circuits. For technology, I had to utilize an arduino, program it, and use the 3D printer. For Engineering, I had to construct the chassis and 3D model the part in Autodesk Inventor. For math, I had to calculate the dimensions of the cardboard chassis and for the 3d modeling. I also had to find the conversion formula to connect the width of the returning ultrasonic signal to distance in cm and inches. 

Robot

video

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Puzzle Cube Reflection

During this project, I glued wooden pieces together to form a 2.25x2.25 inch puzzle cube. The cube has 5 unique pieces that fit together. The total amount of small cubes used was 27. I later used a laser engraver to engrave inspirational quotes on the puzzle cube for each of the six sides. I used autodesk inventor to model each part and then I put the together. I made a document set with each part dimensioned. I collected results from people and observed that STEM students to better on this puzzle cube. A graph can be seen below. 

Graph of average results on the puzzle cube



The separate time of each individual can be found below.



I made a video about me finding parts of the cube and putting them together. It can be found below. 



Below, you can find more pictures of myself in progress of building my project. 
Wood glue that kept my cubes together 
Multiview of one of my parts

Laser Engraver





Thursday, February 11, 2016

Arduino Servo Motor Lock


      After completing one of the projects in the Arduino Starter Kit, I decided to change it up and make it a little bit more secure. Instead of simply doing 3 knocks on a piezo, I decided to make it password protected. I attached 5 pushbuttons to the Arduino digital pins and used digitalRead to read their current state. At first, the password didn't work and I had to look in the internet for answers. I found an easy way to do it and got acquainted with static int in C++. If the person's password is wrong, a piezo will play something similar to a police siren and the RGB Led will alternate blue and red colors. At first I used, 2 normal leds, but later decided to use something more interesting. The RGB led can light up as green, blue, or red and any combination of those colors. If the user gets the password right, the servo in the box will turn and enable the person to open the box. After 5 seconds, it will automatically close. I was previously thinking about using an LCD screen to display text depending if you entered the right combination or not. Later, I found out that it took up too much space on the breadboard and too many of the digital pins. I needed 5 digital pins for the buttons, one for the piezo, 1 for the servo motor, and 3 for my RGB Led. I ran into some difficulties when trying to use PWM on some of my digital pins. I found out that if you use a servo motor and/or piezo, certain digital pins will not be able to use Pulse Width Modulation. Because of that, my jumper cables were a mess and I had to reposition some components on the breadboard. I cut 3 holes in a cardboard box: one for the wire, one through the lid, and one through the box. The plastic part of the servo motor sticks out through two of the holes, potentially blocking the user from accessing the contents of the box. Below you can see some photos and a video of my creation in actions. I am thinking about making a youtube video on how to build this.
Servo motor inside the box
video





My Breadboard